← Patient Financial Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to the most frequently asked questions about billing and financial services.

Who is responsible for paying my bill?
The hospital will bill your insurance company directly (unless you specify otherwise). However, you are ultimately responsible for making certain that your bill is paid. If a balance remains after your insurance has issued a payment or a denial, payment is due upon receipt of your statement.

What is pending with my insurance?
You may have received a letter or questionnaire from your insurance company or from IMH requesting additional information. If you do not respond to this, the bill may become your responsibility. Please follow the instructions provided in the letter to ensure your claims are processed in a timely manner.

What do I owe?
You should receive an account statement in the mail. Your statement will reflect any unpaid balances on your account. 

Did you receive my payment?
Any new payments made on your account should be reflected on your next account statement. 

Why didn’t my insurance pay?
You should have received an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from your insurance company showing how they considered your claim. This EOB should have a contact telephone number or website where you can reach your insurance company for further information. Please contact your insurance company or benefits office with questions about denied claims. 

What if I didn’t give anyone my insurance information at the time of service?
If you did not have your insurance information with you at the time of service or if your insurance information has changed, please call us immediately to update your record.

What is pre-authorization, and who is responsible for taking care of it?
Many insurance plans require prior approval for services by patients and/​or their Primary Care Providers (PCPs) before services can be covered. This is often referred to as pre-authorization. Before your visit to an Ivinson Memorial Hospital facility, please review your health-plan booklet or call your insurance company representative to clarify your specific policy benefits and requirements. 

I was injured at work; why am I getting a bill?
After notifying your employer of a work-related injury your employer should have filed a Notice of Injury’ with the company’s workers compensation carrier. If they did not the claim may be denied and become your responsibility. Please check with your employer regarding the status of your worker’s compensation claim. Once you have received your claim number from your employer or workers compensation carrier, please contact our office with this information so we may file your claim. 

What if I am having difficulties paying my bill in full?
If you are uninsured, underinsured or having financial difficulty, please contact our Financial Counselor to discuss payment plans or financial assistance that may be available. 

What if I have moved or changes my address?
It is your responsibility to provide us with a current mailing address and phone number. If you have moved or changed your address, please call to update your information.